Thursday, July 25, 2019

BOOK REVIEW : Girl Wash Your Face


So I read this book for the book club I am in and really loved a lot of the concepts and ideas she covered.  Although I feel like several of her stories that she used to illustrate the points didn't apply or connect with me as well as they may for other readers. 

LOVED: The way she pointed out the lies we tell ourselves in life.

LOVED: How she recapped the end of the chapters with how she overcame/overcomes the lie

DISLIKE: Several of her stories she used to illustrate the lie were a bit of a stretch to me

DISLIKE: I feel like throughout the book she puts herself on a pedestal and put other down (judges them) 

BIGGEST DISLIKE: In the book she talks about toxic relationships. She says to get out and get away. The personal story she uses is that of her and her husband and how he treated her when the started dating.... paining him in an awful light and then basically says he changed so it doesn't apply... Umm what is this telling other women or girls??? mixed feelings on this...

FAVORITE CONCEPT/TAKE AWAY: I love how in the book Rachel talks about other people's opinions and how to deal with them. my favorite take away is how she quotes another person, I think it was her therapist, saying that someone else's opinion of you is NONE of your business. WORDS TO LIVE BY! how many times do we get caught up in how others think of us???  

Over all good book and a lot to think about from the book. Again I loved the lies and how she over came them and I began to see how the lies apply to me and what I do now and what I can do to overcome them in my own life.  Now on to her next book....

You can get Girl Wash Your Face here

***Update to my Biggest Dislike***
I have watched several of  Rachel's youtube videos and listened to several of her audios and now understand a little more of her story and how her personality is. Anyway one of the videos was of her and Dave (her husband) talking about marriage. They talk about their story and how everything happened and you get more from his perspective (he does not pain himself in a pretty light either). Anyway, I still feel conflicted on her example in the book but I get it now on why it sort of fit. For here it was about being willing to leave and not put up with the abuse any more. She had to face it and "wash her face" stop crying and move on. End of story. The fact that he realized what he lost and came crawling back and had to change his own behavior to treat her respectfully is an add on. 


***Update to the update***
Dave is an amazing husband for him to be willing to let his wife share their story openly and for him to be willing to publicly admit that he was abusive but has changed and is now in a commit relationship with his wife where they are equals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have and thoughts, questions, comments or experience? Please share with us